Lead Mechanical Engineer
ACS is looking for a Lead Mechanical Engineer to join our team in our headquartered office in Middleton, WI. With 25 years of experience, ACS specializes in the engineering, integration and construction of technically complex R&D and production equipment, controls, and facilities. With a positive, collaborative company culture, we are proud to have been named a “Top Workplace” of 2019.
The Lead Mechanical Engineer will ensure the client’s needs for custom test equipment are met or exceeded by leading the machine design process from concept to Manufacturing. This is accomplished through understanding of the client’s budget, schedule, and design criteria, as well as thorough engineering analysis and proper execution of the design process.
Core Job Responsibilities:
- Ability to design multiple systems from concept to build
- Design common engine test cell systems including, but not limited to Fuel, Engine Jacket Water, Oil, Engine Handling/Docking, Driveline, Exhaust, and Combustion Air. Also, design other custom equipment as required to support other types of equipment projects.
- Performs detailed engineering functions including engineering calculations, develops flow diagrams and P&ID’s, uses ProE to develop 3D models, selects and purchases devices and works with ACS Manufacturing to design for manufacturability.
- Defines design criteria and develops feasible design concepts based on client’s needs and requirements.
- Develops cost estimates for equipment concepts and works with the project manager and other team members to develop proposals.
- Creates and executes equipment project work plans and revises as appropriate to meet changing needs and requirements.
- Leads design reviews both internal peers and management and external with clients.
- Utilizes Design Checklist Tools in design process and adheres to design review requirements and procedures
- Understands and applies ACS Drawing Standards, including the ability to do detailed drawing reviews of own and others’ work to identify errors
- Oversees technical aspects of equipment build at ACS Manufacturing Facility through close involvement and regular communication with the manufacturing facility personnel.
- Oversees and performs Factory Acceptance Testing at ACS Manufacturing Facility as required to ensure equipment is functioning to client’s specifications before shipment.
- Accurately interprets and acts upon dimensional inspection reports
- Plans equipment installation and commissioning requirements
- Travels to client location to oversee installation and commissioning of equipment.
Basic requirements include:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent Engineering Degree.
- Minimum 5 years relevant machine design work experience.
- Experience involving basic engine test cell equipment design and integration, troubleshooting and commissioning is a plus.
- Excellent analytical engineering skills and practical experience in at least two of the following areas: Mechanical Vibrations and Dynamics, FEA, Machine Design, Statics, and Hydraulics.
- Additional technical experience and knowledge in Fluid Dynamics, Heat Transfer, and Pneumatics Systems is beneficial.
- Ability to Interpret, Understand, and Communicate P&ID’s (Process and Instrumentation Diagrams).
- Effective problem solving, judgment, and independent thinking skills for troubleshooting, repair, and recognition of acceptable or unacceptable product quality.
- Demonstrates excellent technical writing and oral communication skills.
- Ability to travel to customer facilities with several overnight stays for equipment installation supervision and commissioning.
- Must have the following personal skills and characteristics: Problem solving skills, strong organizational and time management skills, willingness to accept responsibility, team player, takes initiative to improve personal skills, ability to work effectively with all internal and external levels and groups.
Along with an amazing company culture - ACS offers comprehensive health care benefits, a 401(k) employer match program, a bonus incentive program, paid time off and summer hours.
ACS specializes in the engineering, integration and construction of technically complex R&D and production equipment, controls, and facilities. Working across multiple industries and markets, including automotive, aerospace, energy, chemical, laboratories and manufacturing, ACS offers a unique mix of experience in control systems, custom machines, testing solutions, automation, process and discrete production systems as well as turnkey integrated buildings. ACS is based in Middleton, Wisconsin, with a regional office in Troy, Michigan, and serves customers across North America and around the world.
For a full overview of our organization, visit our website at: www.acscm.com
Please apply through our website at: https://careers-acs.icims.com